Michael - Carrollton, Texas
Themes: peace, war

The Inkblot Test has to be the most famous test of all times. Everyone has either done it or seen it once by time they’re in high school. The variety of things one can see in the inkblot shows the minds most influential ability, Interpretation. Interpretation is the key element in everything from art to conflict. Evidence of misinterpretations exists all throughout our political and artistic history. Just think about the Salem Witch trials or the abstract paintings of Kandinsky and you see that our interpretations constantly differ from someone else’s. There have even been multiple studies done that people feel emotions differently than one another which is ground breaking because it shows that we really are all different. I believe if we finally learned to accept that and stopped trying to make one existence, we could learn to live in co-existence.

I believe wars and conflict are not the answer. I believe that if we stepped back, took a look from others perspectives, that our views and opinions would forever be changed. I believe that if we as humans stop desperately trying to change others to fit our mold, and just let everyone be their own shape, we would achieve ultimate productivity and efficiency. We must not only walk a mile in ones shoes, we must walk a lifetime to truly understand why they feel the way they do. That’s why I say not give up, but let it be. The Taoists of eastern Asia believe that the only way to live in true serenity is to not fight against nature, but to live in harmony with it. I believe that same idea can be put into context with human nature. Controversial subjects are a ground zero for misinterpretation, so we must think hard before making up our minds. I try to see both sides before I choose one and I have to say it’s the ultimate way to live. You must balance out the equation before you can solve it and that virtue lives deep inside of me and always will.

Although this seems like the ultimate society and a wonderful place, it sadly will never exist. It’s also part of human nature to have rebels and we always will. There will always be close-minded individuals who spoil the entire earth, but if we make small changes in our way of perceiving things, we can still make a world of difference. If we think with others in mind, we not only help others, we help ourselves by gaining inner peace and knowledge. The Buddha once said, “We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.”

Think peacefully and happily and the world will follow.