Nathan - Gainesville, Virginia

In my daily life, my beliefs shape everything I do from school to my personal life at home. I believe in myself. When I say this I don’t mean to sound conceded or simply express a presence of self confidence. I am sharing my secret of success that has made my life all that I could ask for it to be up to this point. If you meet anyone who knows me, they would probably tell you that I am ambitious. They are right. I have been blessed to live in this modern world with a close family that supports each other. Through out my life, my mother has had a small paper sign on her desk at work which reads, “If it is to be, it is up to me.” Both my parents have instilled this phrase into my life and morals. When I was younger I took the phrase to mean that I could do whatever I wanted. I was wrong, yet I was right in a sense. I learned that success is not a matter of shear intelligence or brute strength. Success is determined by something that all people have the potential to overcome, yet very few do. Success is determined by the power to overcome doubt and instate a desire for success.

Over the years, I have wanted to be many things when I grew up as many children do. Every time I would tell my parents one of my “crazy” dreams they would simply tell me, “If it is to be, it is up to me.” In fifth grade, I decided my desire was to earn all A’s on a report card, and I received the usual response. I worked hard with the mental goal in mind the entire time and found it worked perfectly. Since that point in my life, I have continued to strive for the best in everything that I do with the simple thought that there is no reason I can’t. With that mental state of optimism, I was able to succeed and fuel the ever growing ambitions of my dreams.

Along with my growing ambitions, I have become very competitive striving to be the best at anything and everything I do, and succeeding do a continuous optimal thought and support of those around me. In the past five years, I have determined my plans for life and what I want to do to get there. With a plan for college at one of the hardest schools in the country, I have learned to set my goals high. If someone wants to do something strong enough, then they will be able to do it. With all of my ambitions coming true in front of my eyes, and my parents lessons swimming in my head I believe that I, or any other person, am only limited by myself and my greatest ambitions.