Kascie - carrollton, Texas

The Weakness of Strength

I believe that a persons’ strength is their greatest weakness. All of my life people have told me this. We try so hard to prevent ourselves from enduring pain, that we create a shield. By putting a shield around our hearts and minds and all that we do, we are simply hurting ourselves.

We live in a society controlled by ideals of perfection. We must be thin, but still strong. We must need others, but still have strength enough to hold ourselves up when they are gone. One must have only the most desired imperfections to be perfect. Yet still in this world, we as people are all just trying to be stronger than the next person; whether it is physically or mentally or even by our reputations.

At the same time, one is still expected to hold their head above water along with the person beside him. If we do not then we must live with the guilt. We are so stuck on being the strongest in all that we do that we have forgotten how to feel. We have put up such a shield that would protect us from pain that all we have truly done is block our soles from the emotions that it needs to survive. Too often I have not trusted in people when I should have. Too often I have not loved when I could have.

I believe when people finally let someone in that they are most understood. In that one moment of unshielded weakness we find something that we are all searching for, our strength. Everyone characterizes their strength as possessing the ability to never feel pain and even reject the thought of imperfection. The word strength is defined by the capacity of exertion or endurance. If you think about it, isn’t strength truly the ability to except who you are, even with imperfections, and to understand that you can not love without being hurt?

Someone once said that we are only as strong as the weakest player. As I take this thought and apply it to my life I realize that if all we are doing is trying to promote ourselves, then who is saving the people who can not be strong for themselves. If I were to sit here and tell you that we should and will all eventually trust complete strangers and grow to be 100% honest that would be a lie. There will never be a time that all people will accept that to become strong we can not just be in this life for our own strength. I believe that there will be one point in every person’s life that they will be so weak and vulnerable that the shield they spent so much time building will be broken. I believe that there will be a time in every person’s life that they will be strong for some one who can barely hold themselves up. I believe that there will be a time that a person will push so hard to be the strongest that they will break themselves trying to get there. Most of all, I believe that a person’s strength is their greatest weakness.