Katie - Carrollton, Texas
Themes: forgiveness

What I believe…

Dog is man’s best friend, diamonds are a girl’s best friend, and time is a best friend to any conflict. The range of time it takes to get over stubbornness and truly forgive can range from minutes, to hours, to months or even years. Just like a broken arm that hurts at first and takes a while to recover, so do problems. Eventually, though, I believe that time heals all things.

If I had a nickel for every moment I should have held my tongue, I would be filthy rich. I, however, do speak my mind and that is what got me into the biggest pickle of my life.

I never really had a best friend until Jane. Together we were two peas in a pod. We spent countless nights goofing off, sharing secrets, and having fun. She never once judged me. In fact she just listened to what I had to say, always able to understand and relate. Unfortunately, two people so alike, who spent so much time together, were bound for trouble at some point, and that is exactly what happened.

Conflicts arose in the summer before eighth grade. Silly arguments occurred much more often now than ever. I just was not having as much fun with Jane as I used to. Our closeness was slowly creeping away, but what little friendship left there hung on as the school year began.

I knew drama would soon come with us sharing two classes. With our tolerance hanging on by a thread, it would just take one snip of some cut-throat words to break the bonds of our friendship. Something she said that Thursday afternoon sent me over the edge. By the way she strutted around, or maybe something she said mixed with my bad mood made me want to sock her in the face. I decided on something I could do other than fight her, and that would be writing a note.

What they say about the pen being mightier than the sword is definitely true. I knew Jane so well that I also knew the things to say to hurt her the most. Not only did she never want to speak to me again she ended up turning all of my friends against me. I no longer had help to turn to, so I just had to let God take it in his hands and wait as the days passed by.

Speaking to Jane too soon while the wounds were still fresh would have only made matters worse so I decided to give it time. Many months passed by until I finally had my chance to chat with Jane at a swim team practice. She still was not fond of me but she also did not hate me anymore. We began speaking to each other again and the past just seemed to melt away. It wasn’t the apology that fixed the problem but time, the time to forgive a best friend.