Olivia - Carrollton, Texas

I Believe In Doing the Right Thing

It is human nature to do things for number one. From the start everyone looks out for themselves first and foremost. It seems if I don’t do things that make my happy then I won’t get anywhere in the world. Breaking free from this mindset helps me in everyday life. I feel like I still achieve my goals without aggressively chasing them. I try to pursue them with eager kindness instead of the vulgar rat race the people of today simply imply is “life.” How can we ever look forward to a peaceful world if everyone’s mind is set on the ultimate prize- getting what they want?

Day to day I am forced to make decisions about what is right and whether I want to use the little amount of extra energy it takes to actually do it. Should I yell at my brother or should I ignore the mess he left in our bathroom? Should I do the dishes before my mom asks me to or should I moan and complain about it once she does ask? The right answers to these questions seem obvious, but once I start letting human nature take over, the right answer is a foggier choice. The only thing to do is blow through the fog.

Sometimes thinking about the last time I did the right thing and how it made me feel makes choosing what to do a little easier. I can still remember the first time I returned a lost wallet to the front office. I was so proud of myself; it was like I just won the Noble Peace Prize. Then the next day I was playing ball in the living room with my best friend and I knocked over and broke a Christmas decoration. My mom asked me what happened and I made up a lame story and she knew I wasn’t telling the truth. All that did for me was made my mom not to trust me for a while and made me feel completely worthless for just as long.

In the world today it amazes me just thinking about how many people don’t do the right thing even when it is as simple as stopping at a red light. Instead some people think they have the right to do whatever they want and act as though they are more important then everyone else. News flash! And bam they get slammed in the side of their Porsche.

Even when people don’t notice the good choices I make, I still get the warm feeling from it. That feeling in itself is worth doing the right thing to me. Average Joes can help others and do the right thing just as much as the King of Sheba can. Little things every day add up to really mean something more and fit in a bigger picture. I truly believe that doing the right thing is contagious and someday it could change the world.