Jacob - Kyle, Texas
Themes: sports, work

We’re All Winners

“Did you hear about the guy who won the Tour de France? Do you think he took steroids?”, “Did you see the guy who shot the winning basket at the basketball game? I bet he took steroids!”, or “Did you see the guy who scored the winning touchdown at the football game last night? He probably took steroids!” are phrases we hear too often nowadays. The world has gotten so judgmental that people can’t even win a sporting event without being accused of taking steroids.

Recent Tour de France winner Floyd Landis was accused of taking steroids almost immediately after winning. He took a drug test and tested positive for steroids. Now if you only heard that part, you might think he really did take steroids. Even some newspapers might put out some articles about it-and most people would believe it. That’s because they didn’t tell you a VERY important piece of information: He had hip problems, and had to take something for it. That something might have had the slightest amount of steroids in it, and bam! The news is out: “Tour de France winner Floyd Landis tests positive for steroids.”* They don’t even wait for the rest of the information.

The reporters put out articles like: “Tour de France winner takes steroids to win the race!” then a week later the articles read: “Drug tests come out negative.” Let them win. Let them feel like they deserve that trophy. Let them win because they are themselves. Let them win simply because they did win. Let them win!

We should be able to win a sporting event without being criticized. We are hall human beings. We win a race because we did our best, not because we took steroids.

Next thing you know you’ll hear people saying, “You know, that band member marched really well out there. I wonder if he took steroids.” or “That Highstepper was really good out there, she must’ve taken steroids.”

So why can’t we win a race because of who we are, not because of what we may or may not have taken? Why do reporters jump on our backs like backpacks, going wherever we go trying to get the slightest evidence that we may have taken steroids? Why can’t we all be winners?

*Information found at http://sports.netscape.com?story?2006/07/21/tour-de-france-winner-floyd-landis-tests-positive-for-steroids/