Bonnie - Kyle, Texas
Themes: carpe diem, death

Thanks Dad

If there is one thing in my 16 years of infinite knowledge I have learned, it is to LIVE life, before you loose the chance to. I don’t mean going day to day in our modern hectic American lives, full of SUV’s and McDonald’s. I mean living.

Growing up my dad had Huntington’s disease; although it eventually killed him, there is one thing that is embedded in my head that I can always attribute to him: live life to the fullest. He never stopped having fun or doing what he loved just because he knew it wouldn’t last forever, he spent the time he had left of this earth enjoying the simple pleasures of life. Even in his younger years when the knowledge of the disease was unknown to him, he still had the time of his life. He married the woman that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with and had two wonderful kids. He loved his family with all he had, unconditionally.

When he grew older and to the point of no return because the sickness had begun to take over his body, he even went down to the Texas coast and swam in the ocean for one last time. He rode a bike naked around the yard, just for fun. He did cartwheels in the front yard for an hour, while the whole family cackled with laughter, just for fun. That’s what everything was for him, just fun. Now, I’m not saying I want to be reckless and do whatever comes to my mind, but I don’t want to spend so much time focusing on the small things that don’t matter. I don’t want to get frustrated at those little things that irritate us into the ground.

Life is the most important thing humans have. We averted from our savage nature to have a society and a life. So, why not celebrate this life by living it, and living it well? My dad took every opportunity to enjoy the gifts he had and to rejoice life. I have inherited this philosophy from him, as I always take the chance to be wild and crazy.

My dad never hesitated to do what he loved and this is how I want to live my life, with no regrets, ever. So, here’s to you dad, thanks, for all that you gave and all that you are. You had a life lived well.