Kirsti - Kyle, Texas

This I Believe- High School

High school. An environment filled with drama. A place where upper-classmen boys wait to pounce on the new prey at the beginning of each year. A zone of peer pressure and uncertain minds. A vicinity of brilliant kids pushing the limits of right and wrong. A location of becoming somebody you’re not. High school.

On the first day of high school, senior guys already have their eyes on the prowl for the younger, newer, and cuter girls. Immediately you feel the pressure to begin acting older and to put yourself out there. As soon as entering the high school environment, you instantly feel the need to make yourself stand out so you can capture the attention of everyone.

Before you know it, you’re sucked into all the gossip, the partying and the drama. Before you know it, you’re doing things you probably shouldn’t be doing. You’re letting these older boys persuade you into doing things your mom and dad always preached not to do. But, you’re being accepted, so why not? You tell yourself that it’s just high school and this is supposed to be the best time of your life! So why not experience everything you can now while you’re still young?! Wrong.

Before you know it, you begin to change the way you dress, the way you act and the people you hang around. What happened to your old group of close friends? They obviously don’t like who you’re hanging out with now, so it’s their loss! Right? Just because they’re not as liked by the older guys as you, they don’t have to act so immature and leave you out! You love all the attention you’re getting and you never thought that high school could possibly be this easy! You end up totally discarding your old friends and are constantly hanging out with these older boys, who will be graduating in a few months.

Before you know it, you’ve become so caught up in the typical high school realm, that you’ve lost touch with everything that you ever really knew. When did this happen? It’s high school. I know this, because I almost became this freshman. I almost fell into the trap, but luckily I quickly grasped reality and came to my senses. I was able to catch it before I made some stupid decisions, but some teenagers aren’t that lucky.

Everyone goes through the phase of feeling like they need to be accepted, but it’s up to you to decide how. Don’t change to be somebody you aren’t. It’s not worth it! High school is supposed to be some of the best years of your life, so don’t spend it trying to impress somebody else other than yourself! Don’t spend it trying to get your old friends back that you left behind! Don’t spend it wishing you could change every decision you made along the way! If you stay true to yourself, the best of rewards will come to you in the end!