Alexander - Buda, Texas
Themes: fear

Beware of the Dark, for you don’t always know what’s there. People often have those stupid stories with the “thing” that they always tell at parties and camps, but you know the counselors are messing with your head. Yet, back in that part of your head where you keep the irrational fears, like a blood sucking vampire who in the day light turns into a Republican senator, you still check twice every time you peer into the shadows. You have to make sure that nothing is there.

So this is why I say beware of the dark. At my 12th birthday party, me and my amigos were chilling in the T.V room, letting its secret subliminal messaging poison our minds. And what better way to do that than with Monty Python? So we’re all sitting around the T.V, watching the Holy Grail for what feels like the umpteenth time. Then I felt it. That feeling of pure fear in its most natural form. I could feel my spine being crunched like a potato chip in a wood chipper. As I turned to tell one of my friends this, I see that he isn’t watching the movie. He’s yelling and pointing outside.

At this point, the sun is set but not quite gone, sitting on top of the razor of the world. I looked outside, and what I saw will forever burn in my inner eye. This, this “thing”. Just standing there. Not. Moving. An. Inch. Immediately, all the oxygen was gone out of the room, so no one could scream, yell, pray, or whatever they would have done. This “thing” just stood there, not even breathing. When I could finally feel my legs, which was saying something because by then I could barely breath, I rushed to the window.

I don’t know what it was, and I hope I never find out. This “thing” had cleared about 30 feet in two steps, and was gone by the time I blinked.

Now, normally people would yell, “&$^@$&@#”, at this point, but this wasn’t the last time for me or my friends, but that is their story. So the next time some one tells you of the “thing” or the dude with hook, don’t laugh. Because you just don’t know what lurks in the shadow and the dark.