Joseph - Buda, Texas

Always use your hands to break your fall. I wish that I could have learned this lesson a lot sooner than at the age of almost seventeen. I would have been a whole lot better than I now. I could have avoided so many incidents if I had this knowledge in previous years and my life would have been a lot less stressful.

I have had so many accidents involving smashing my face into objects. I have been dropped as a baby, crashed on my bicycles, run into poles, run into people, and hit huge A/C units. All I had to do was simply put my hands in front of my face to protect my face, but of course I never had any common sense to grasp that simple concept. It all sounds so easy now, but when you only have milliseconds to think, you sometimes tend to forget some of the simplest things. It seems that I had forgotten a whole lot.

In the span of about ten years, I have probably been to the hospital around twelve times, all for injuring some part of my face. My poor parents had to get that phone call so many times from the school saying that I had injured myself, and I bet they would just simply say, “Again.” I have busted my head open, lost some of my teeth, busted lips open, broken noses, and just about anything else that involves your face, I have probably done. I had been to the hospital so often that the doctor probably knew my entire life story. When stitching up my face for about the twelfth time, the emergency physician became to believe that my parents were not child abusers, but instead they just had a severely accident-prone child.

When I was younger I had a humungous bulls-eye painted on my face and I guess I never knew how to erase it until now. I have been accident free for about six years and my life has been great, although I probably just jinxed myself. The only advice I can probably give to anybody from the first seventeen years of my life is to always use your hands to break your fall and your childhood will not have near as many hardships as mine had to have.