Jillian - Buda, Texas

“Work like you don’t need the money,

Love like you’ve never been hurt,

Sing like no one’s listening,

And dance like no one’s watching.”

These are a few words that I heard the other day at a dance studio my friend had drug me to, and these words had a deep impact on me.

There are always those stupid quotes that people say to get you to do something like: “A penny saved, is a penny earned,” or “Work today, and rest tomorrow.” These are just plain stupid in my opinion; don’t tell someone these, simply say “Save your money,” or “Go to work.”

However this quote I heard spoke to me. You could live your life by this quote and do pretty good, simply do what it says.

If you have to work, whether a summer job at McDonald’s or a job helping your neighbors around the house, do it whole heartedly. Work as hard as you can even if it isn’t for all that much money. Try to keep a smile on your face.

Next, love. Well, I could spend about an eternity just on this one, but for the sake of time, I will shorten it up. Everyone gets hurt by someone they love at one point in time. Sometimes, I wish someone had taught me about love like they do all the little boys. Basically, “Even if you get hurt, act like you didn’t, keep your head up and move on.” For some reason, it seems pretty much that simple for most guys. They must have gone through a class and been taught that, otherwise I don’t know why they all act like that. I wish it was that simple for girls, but girls are more passionate, and fall in love so much quicker than guys. By the time the guy gets the guts to say, “I love you,” the girl is going, “Well, it’s about time you realized it, I did weeks ago!”

However, you have to act like those little boys whenever he says, “Well, I don’t love you anymore, I love her,” hold your head up, walk away, and move on. Or at least make it look like that, wait to cry until you get around the corner, then you can let it all out. And the next time you fall in love, don’t be afraid. After all, guys aren’t the world. One, two, or ten don’t matter. The only one that really matters is the one that isn’t afraid to tell you he loves you, even if his best friend is around. You can find a good guy amongst all of them.

So, the next thing you have to do to make it through life is to sing. And, okay, I know that for some singing is not your talent, well that’s fine. I mean seriously no one is going to care if you are off pitch while you are singing in the shower into your back-scratcher. Just let it out, sing with passion, even if you are completely tone deaf, you aren’t trying out for a national choir or anything, so who will judge you?

Lastly, dance. Well, this is one thing that I have been working on. Like every other girl I took ballet classes when I was little, but I haven’t taken any classes in forever, and it shows. When you are on the same level as fourth graders it’s kind of sad. But, who cares? Just dance to your heart’s content. Besides no one’s going to remember in ten years how bad you sucked at pirouettes and all that other stuff, they will just remember how much you loved to dance no matter who was watching. That’s the way I want everyone to remember me. As the girl who danced like crazy just for the fun of it.

So I guess the point to all of this is just to do what you want to do and don’t care about what everyone else says or sees. Just work, love, sing, and never ever forget to dance. Rock on!