Travis - Buda, Texas
Themes: work

It was the summer before my freshmen year when I started to hear rumors that the soccer coach that I was going to have was rock solid. All my older friends that I played up with on my club team said he was an animal and that we ran close to twenty miles a week. Being a lazy coach potato all summer I was in disbelief, could any human really run twenty miles a week and still live? These thought lingered in my mind all the time I was like what have I gotten myself into could my friends really be telling the truth? Not knowing whether my friends were telling me the truth or not I was determined to stick with soccer because that was what I believed in not quitting and doing your best. I tried to look at the bright side like wow If I can run that much than ill be in darn good shape. Well finally the first day that I had been dreading came. It felt like it took forever to finally be time to go to the high school but one thing for certain is I didn’t know if I should be excited or scared. I dragged myself to the track on an August afternoon. I remember the day as it were yesterday the sun scorching my back as I walked up to the track to meet my friends and see what they expected today to be like. Well after standing around for a while chatting a coach appeared he gathered us around and introduces himself his name was Larry Mathys which brought chills up peoples spine whenever they heard that name. After introducing himself he explained that he was going to get us into the best darn shape no matter what it took I thought “Hey what’s the catch”? The only catch was that you had to give it your all and be willing to push yourself to new limits. The first day we just started off easy with a mile to see how long that took and basically to see where we were at physically. Well I thought how hard could this really be? This was my first mistake. I made it threw the mile barley but after waking up and realizing this year was going to be tough I had to decide was I up to the challenge? I decided to stick it out because I loved soccer it was the only thing I was worried about in the world. I believed that I could become one of the best if I got in good enough shape but I knew I wasn’t only going to take be physically fit but mentally. I knew I was going to have to just believe in myself every time I ran and push myself to run farther and farther. I ran all the time to get in shape for soccer before the season started. Each day getting myself to push my body to what I thought was its limits. After that year I changed my view on myself and the way I approached things, because I knew I could do what I wanted as long as I believed in myself. It turns out that I made the Junior Varsity with all the juniors when I was only a freshman. From that day on I applied myself not just to soccer but in school. I believe not just me, but anyone can do what they wanted just as long as they fight for what they believe in.