Bryan - Buda, Texas

I believe in the beauty of complexity. Dancing with these complex systems [1] is no easy task, but you pick up their rhythm and their beat and soon enough you get the trick, experiencing physical beauty– interactively.

The universe produced Mother through billions of years of cosmological development much like forked sub-processes in computer software. Out of the extraordinary masses of gasses and solids in that big space some pointlessly small stellar system developed, and suddenly I find myself having to unclog some toilet, super-sizing fries with that, filling out that application form or mowing dead grass, a peculiarly confusing and degrading task.

Regardless of how pointless it may look in a heartbeat, I believe that we don’t really know what is going on and nobody else does either. Sure, we can put our coats and hats on, polish our shoes, walk out the door and sell stuff, but that’s just because we need to put bread on the table, it’s not what really matters. That stuff out there is really complex.

Though some may say information overload and call it quits, I am over there weeding through the tall grasses, finding that especially sacred tidbit or key. And once it found, it is beautiful, it is as if an answer to all of the problems. Nah, not for all problems– it is only the beginning. Each key unlocks thousands of more doors and these endless rooms aren’t looking like they will ever stop.

These ideas really do amount to tools in everyday life. You can affirm and you can deny, but more importantly, you can distinguish, since then you start to map out all of those doors. Finding those keys is really useful, but to get that you have to explore the territory, so poking and testing and playing with life’s details is always rewarding.

The universe is resilient, able to respond to even some of the most thoughtless of people, though step to far out of line and you can severely damage yourself. Spending my time tweaking the universe is my way of playing with beauty itself.

‘The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened it’s just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.’ – Douglas Adams

[1] see Donella Meadows’ “Dancing with Systems”

[2] see Feynman in “On finding things out”