John - Clarksville, Tennessee

I grew up in a large family and one of the things each family member learned early on was the act of sharing. I shared everything from leftover food and hand-me-down clothes to a bed that never seemed big enough.

Over time those little acts of sharing developed into a way of life. I believe the greatest gift I can offer my fellow man is a gift of sharing. Sharing my crust of bread with the woman whose lips are parched from hunger and thirst. Sharing my blanket with the man who has no shelter from the cold. Sharing my kind words with a neighbor suffering from despair. Sharing my books with a child who has a thirst for knowledge but cannot read. Sharing my eyes with those who are blinded by prejudice and cannot see. Sharing my ears with those who cannot hear the cries of the helpless. Sharing my wealth with those who earn far too little and sharing my dreams with those who have no hope.

Sharing my tears of sadness with those who have lost a mother and my tears of joy with those who have found a son. Sharing my belief that each of us man, woman and child is a soldier in the battle against evil and should be ever mindful that a battle for good is a battle eternal.

Sharing my belief that there is a place and a purpose for us all, the master and the servant, the athlete and the cripple. Sharing my faith with brethren who are fighting the demons of drug addition, or alcoholism and believe there is no God. Sharing my belief that trust overcomes fear and love overcomes hate. Sharing my belief that “E Pluribus Unum” truly means though we are many yet we are one.

Sharing my belief that America’s best days are yet to come.