Alejia - Kyle, Texas
Themes: sports, work

Ever since I was a little girl I’ve had big dreams. I dreamed that one day I could become a professional softball player and I’d play for the USA Gold Team just like the girls I saw on television. I’ve been playing softball since I was six years old and now at the age of 16 I think I’ve excelled in the sport drastically. I can remember the first day my dad took me outside with a bat and a sock rolled up in duck tape (so I could learn how to catch) and I liked that. I thought the sport was fun and easy and got use to that comfort in the sock rock rolled up in duck tape. Then one day my dad got out a real ball and the first one that hit me in my shin I yelled, “I quit!” But my dad wouldn’t let me quit. He made me work hard for something he knew I really wanted. If my dad would have let me just walk away I couldn’t even begin to imagine where I would be in life right now. Honestly if he would have let me quit he would have opened a door in letting me know that it’s all right to be a quitter, he would have let me know that it’s all right to just give up. So later in life I would feel that if my job was too hard or too boring I could quit and it would be all right. This would obviously leave me nowhere. It’s like this, to get somewhere in life you have to be somebody, to be somebody in life you have to accomplish something, and to accomplish something in life you have to complete something. So how are we ever going to learn to work hard or follow through with things if we only do half of it, or don’t do it at all? Mom, Dad,, I want to thank you, thank you for believing in me and for not letting me give up on anything. I have confidence that I will be somebody, because after all the times I have been in tough situations and left miserable or distraught even, I still got through it and that showed me that if I don’t give up and “quit” I can do anything.