David - Buda, Texas
Themes: integrity

Be Yourself

“Be yourself,” is what my parents told me when I went off to school for the first time. My parents have always known what is best for me, so I follow their advice. Some people didn’t like who I was, but others did. That is life. “Do not change who you are just because some people don’t like who you are,” is what my parents tell me.

“Be yourself,” is what my teachers told me when I came into their class. Teachers are in this world to lead you on the right path, so I followed their advice. Some teachers didn’t like who I was, but others did. That is life. “Do not change who you are just because some teachers don’t like who you are,” is what my teachers told me.

“Be yourself,” is what my friends told me when I asked for advice on what to do with a girl that I liked. Your friends are your friends for the support they give you, and would never mislead you; so I followed their advice. Some girls liked me for who I was, but others didn’t. That is life. “Do not change who you are just because some girls don’t like you,” is what my friends told me.

“Be yourself,” is what I told myself ever since I can remember, I obeyed. I have changed who I am several times throughout the years. Does that mean that I haven’t been being myself? Or does that mean that I just hadn’t found who I was yet? I believe I have found who I am now; I feel comfortable with myself, that’s how I know. I have many friends and have had many girlfriends. My parents like me, so do my teachers, and my friends. I have had countless fun being myself, fun that I would not have had, being someone else. I have met countless friends and girlfriends being myself, people I would not have met being someone else. Am I happy with whom I am? Of course I am; it’s who I am. Do I have tendencies to act like someone I am not? Yes, and I am sure everyone has as well, but I always act myself in the end.

“Be yourself,” is what I tell my friends when I meet them or when they ask for advice. Sometimes when they act who they are, people don’t like them, but others do. That is life. “Do not change who you are just because some people don’t like who you are,” is what I tell my friends.