Jessica - Mountain City, Texas

Hair

Ever since I was very young people have loved my hair. They always want to touch it, feel it, caress it, fluff it, ect. Always asking questions like “What side of the family is your hair from?” or “Is your hair naturally curly?” More often than asking those questions, people always have to inform me that they know someone, whether it is their cousin or their friend’s aunt’s son’s daughter, who has hair just like me. But I know that no one has hair like me.

As a little girl I would accompany my mother to the grocery store. Where every old lady to young mother would want to squeeze the little, blonde fro atop my head. I hated their grubby or skinny, dirty or clean fingers on my already frizzy locks. So my teenage uncle told me to say that I have lice. Being five-years-old and ignorant to parasites, I followed my uncle’s advice. Needless to say I only freaked out two women before my embarrassed mother caught on. I did not want them all over my head because no one has hair like me.

Year’s progress and my little, blonde fro has turned into long, dirty blonde, but still just as tight curls. Everyone has different advice on how to keep this mop on my head under control. They all say something like this, “My niece has hair just like you and she uses Bed Head’s Frizz Control and it looks so gorgeous. You should try it; it would be perfect for your hair.” For a long time I believed that all these peoples sisters, cousins, nieces, neighbors, and friends had hair just like me. I tried all their advice. I’ve used so many different products! Pantene Pro-V, Suave, Baby Oil, Head and Shoulders, and Pink’s Deep Conditioning are just a few of everything I’ve been given advice on. I’ve come to learn no one has hair like me.

Now every time someone comes up to me and strikes up the little conversation I just displayed for you, I smile, nod, and let them think I really care what they say. Don’t get me wrong I’ll take advice but I know what works best for me. I try to tell my parents, my teachers, my grandparents, and my other authorities the same thing. Let me be my own person. Let me experiment. I’m never going to learn from you telling me what to do all the time. If you don’t give me a chance to live me life I will eventually break free of your bonds and when I get my moment of freedom I will do something stupid to get back at you. I can’t be suffocated by your rights and wrongs or I won’t be able to breathe my own air. I learned this from my hair because no one has hair like me.

The best thing for me was walking down that hair isle at Wal-Mart and reading every product. It took time, effort, energy, and thought but I suggest you do the same. Go down the isle of life and shop for what you want, no matter what any one says. Youth of America and the World rise up and try something new. Don’t always do what your parents, teachers, grandparents, or a friend’s aunt’s son’s daughter tells you to try. If you do you are not yourself and have no real life experiences. My life philosophy: “Be spontaneous with the products you try because no one has hair like you and no one has hair like me.