Ashlee - Kyle, Texas
Themes: sports

This I believe, a girl should play a team sport. For the past eight years I have been dedicated to the sport of soccer. Without the experience of being part of a team I wouldn’t be who I am today. The past years have taught me characteristics that I can carry through the rest of my life. Confidence, leadership, teamwork, and self reliance are all what I have learned on the pitch; and the admiration of family, friends, and peers are the rewards.

A girl should play a team sport to gain the confidence that is required in life on and off the field, when I step on the field I am confident that I belong there, and am just as good as everyone else out there. That same confidence I feel when I can walk down a hallway and not give regard to the negative things others may think or say.

A girl should play a team sport to develop leadership skills. On the field I need to be a strong leader, directing the defense and setting up counter attacks. In life, I use these same strong skills in the classroom, my volunteer organizations, and in making strong personal decision.

A girl should play a team sport to learn to work with others well. Teamwork is essential in every aspect of life. Things can’t always be accomplished by yourself; you need to be able to depend on others.

A girl should play a team sport to build self reliance. While teamwork is critical one must also know that if you have no one else is around you can depend on yourself.

Confidence, leadership, teamwork, and self reliance I have learned on the soccer field, but I could have just as easily learned them on the basketball court, on the track, or in the pool on the swim team. We live in a society where women still struggle to find equality it essential that young women have a voice. I believe that team sports provide the tools needed to build a lifetime of success.