Stacey - Kyle, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

I Believe That People Should Stop

As I walked, no, ran in a desperate attempt to beat the late bell to third period the other day, I noticed that, like every other day this week, the only way to get to my next class, was full of students trying to do the exact same thing I was. From behind, I was pushed by several over eager people, causing me to nearly loose my backpack, jacket, and even myself. When I finally made it through, I was shocked to see that they were still pushing and shoving their way through the throng of congregated students. To me, they looked disturbingly like animals, barking, gnawing, and attacking other classmates in an attempt to beat the bell.

This caused me to stop for a second and think of something. I believe that everybody, despite their age, race, or gender, needs to just stop every so often. Stop whatever their doing. Stop running around as though it’s the end of the world. Stop trying to do a billion things in one day. And just all around stop.

The worst thing is when my friends call me at ten-thirty pm, complaining about how they just came from tennis, piano, and violin practice, exhausted to the bone while their homework beckoned from the other room. I can not comprehend how people can do so much in such little time and still be alive!

When they ask me what they should do, how they should relieve their crushing amounts of stress, I always ask the same thing; have you looked up at the stars lately?

They, of course, stare at me as though I’ve just lost my mind. Not many people seem to understand why I stare up at the sky so much, or why I dance around in the middle of the night, surrounded by the twinkling, luminescent sky. For me, it’s the same thing as stopping to smell the roses.

It’s just something I do to remind me that I’m not the only person on Earth. Sure, I can change things, and I can rush around in a whirlwind of activities, but I’m not the only one in this world; I can’t do so much alone. Nor can I be the only one with the weight of the world on my shoulders. If I am, I’ll just end up crashing and burning.

People don’t seem to realize it, and they just rush around as though they can’t stop. I have to wonder whether they’ve taken the time lately to stare up into the sky at night, to take the time and try counting the stars, or making funny little moo-cows with the natural patterns the stars seem to create just for us. Sure, most people just turn around and walk away faster than they approached me, figuring that I’m just insane, but truthfully it’s the most soothing thing in the world to do.

So, the next time you’re all wound up, feeling like you’re going to crack under stress, just take some time, go outside late tonight, and just… stare at the stars.