Luisa - Buda, Texas

If I could encourage people to do any one thing more often in their lives, it would be to just let go, and get out there and do what makes them happy.

He’s strong as an ox, she’s sly as a fox, he’s slow as a snail, she’s quiet as a mouse. These are all sayings we’ve all probably heard over the years, comparing humans to animals; but the saying I believe most people could relate more with is something like, ‘she’s as shy as a turtle’. Even if you’re not a shy person, you know what I’m talking about. The incredibly shy people who keep their heads and eyes down when they walk and talk, people who try to just stay mixed in the crowd and never stand out so that they can never really be seen or singled out.

People let their fears get in the way of their happiness, along with all the tendencies to be shy or reserved that always seem to come with them. When I was young I was a fairly shy, introverted person. I kept myself quiet and reserved, only letting my inner feelings, emotions, thoughts and questions loose when doing something by myself or with my close friends. As I got older I loosened up a bit more and let myself have a little more fun. Now I can’t really remember why I ever kept that quiet in the first place…

Unfortunately, not all people loosen up as I did. They stay quiet and shy and don’t allow themselves to get the courage to just get up and go do something they actually like to do. Instead, they let all of their chances to do the things that really make life worth living just slip by because of their fears- “What if it doesn’t really make me happy? What if I’m not good at it? What if everyone sees me doing it when I’m no good..?” People need to realize that this is the only life they will have and that being afraid of really living is a tragic waste of that time. Realizing that for myself forced me to ‘come out of my shell’ and go try things that I would’ve never tried before. Things that, in the end, really and truly made me happy- even though I might not have been the best at them.

So, with all of that said, I encourage you turtles to come out of your shells, stick your necks out and take some risks! Letting go of your fears and inhibitions and having the courage to speak your mind and do things you love is an incredibly liberating experience. It will set you free, it will open you up to new and more exciting things, and it will give you the ability to do things you never thought you could – and never knew you would love. So get up and do it! Do what you love! Speak your mind! Free yourself! If you’re anything like me, you’ll find that the reward is infinitely better than not taking the risk.