Ashley - Buda, Texas
Themes: creativity, work

You get back what you give in life, especially from the things in life that mean the most to you.

To get anywhere in life you practice so that when it comes time you can do your best. Practicing is performing over and over again until you achieve the intended outcome. No matter how good you think you are, you won’t get very far on pure talent. If you give 100%, you’re going to get what you deserve in return.

Dance is one of the most important aspects of my life. Outside of my family and faith in God, dance defines me. I put all my time and effort into this hobby that has become more of an obsession. I know unless I push myself out of my comfort zone, I will never get any better.

Some people say dance is not a sport. Obviously they don’t start their day at seven in the morning dancing and end the day at nine-thirty at night with dance class. A good dancer has to have determination, self-discipline, and a passion you can’t even begin to explain about dance.

The goal is to make dancing look easy and natural. Getting there on the other hand, that’s a whole other story. You have to know yourself mentally and physically. Dancing, it’s more than just moving around to music. You have to feel and project the emotion as if telling a story through each move your body makes. I don’t think someone can fully understand the physical element of dance until it’s experienced. My body aches on a daily basis; I mean the kind of sore that when you lay in bed every muscle in your body throbs with aching pain. Occasionally you might break a toe, but the show must go on right? No doubt this is the less glamorous side of dancing. This is why you give it your all. The secret to success is surrendering yourself completely to your goals.

Brooke Lowden owns and runs Brooke Lowden’s School of Dance in Kyle and she inspires to me to do my best. Brooke has shown me that she was able to achieve her goals through determination and hard work. Brooke began dancing as a child, danced on the Bowie High School Drill Team and obtained her lifelong goal of being a Rangerette. Brooke completely devoted her life to obtaining her final goal of owning her own studio. Brooke definitely has gotten back what she gave in her love of dance.

I hope to reach my goals and follow in her footsteps by getting out what I gave to dance. Whether its dance, school, or life in general you’re going to get back what it is that you give. So live life to the fullest and see what you will receive in return.