Jessica - Buda, Texas

“New Somebody”

I believe that it’s ok to go outside your “clique” and go outside your “group” of friends. Even if they are different and aren’t the typical type of person that you hang out with.

As I sit in the cafeteria at my school, I see many different “groups” talking, laughing, and having a good time. Some of these people in these “groups” look at the other groups and don’t even bother to talk to one another.

I am even guilty of this charge. But I truly believe someone can find a common ground and similarities in another and at least converse with them. Maybe even become friends.

When I walk through my crowded high school hallways during passing period at school, I usually see someone I’ve never talked to and I wonder what kind of person they are. Sometimes it is hard to just talk to somebody you have never talked to before in your life because you care what they think of you and how they see your image.

Different “groups” are judged and stereotyped on how they look, dress, and what their interests are in. You probably don’t talk to them because you care how other people see you. And if they see you talking to somebody they stereotype as “weird”, you think that person might stereotype you as “weird” too, just for talking to them. Ignore that. Everyone has something special inside of them, and if you don’t ever give them a chance, or even they give you a chance, you might miss out on something you can benefit and learn from them. You never know, that one person you have always looked at and wondered, “Who is that?” could be just like you.

Everyone is guilty of somewhat stereotyping and staying within you “people”. But I dare you to one day extend your arms and talk to somebody new.