Nicholas - Buda, Texas

I believe that gay people should be proud of who they are. I believe people should be proud of what they are even though it might not be liked by some people.

I have been gay ever since I can remember. I didn’t wake up one morning thinking, ‘Hmm… I like guys’. No I simply just grew into the thought process of it subconsciously and never seemed to like girls like that. To this day I’m still absolutely oblivious to the reason as to why I’m like this, but if there’s one thing I can say about it, it’s this: Being gay is not a choice. Although for some it is, for me it is not. I cannot explain it. I cannot begin to fathom why on earth I am like this, all I know is that I am, and I need to be proud of it.

In the current world we live in, it’s not exactly easy to be proud of something so few have but so many despise. As I’m growing up in Buda, Texas, I’m very aware of this phenomenon. So many people here have been brought up in a way that is both traditional and religious. Every single day that I interact with theses people I get a taste of just what people really think about this different disposition. Some say it’s a sin. Just what is a sin? Some say I’m just sexually confused and I need to sort all of it out in my head. All of what out in my head? Others say it’s a choice. If it is a choice, why do you care and why should I? To all of these reasons, people might point to the Bible or a biology book for the answer. I know what they say. It all depends on how you look at them. I don’t read the Bible for what it says on a piece of paper. I read the Bible with my heart for what it really says. And it says that I should love everyone and respect people and their differences. As for a biology book, well, who says I have to follow the rules there?

On Valentine’s Day of 2005, I came out to my mother. If there was ever a day when I was more scared it this day. Coming out to your parents is up there on the list of the hardest things any gay person will ever have to do. Think about it, your about to tell the people that have created you and put you on this earth something that could have an incredibly positive or incredibly negative effect possibly changing the way your parents look at you for the rest of there lives. No pressure!

One of the most important things that I have ever learned so far in my incredible short 16 years of living, it’s that I should believe in myself in what ever I do. I should have faith and know that somewhere, wherever somewhere is, an entity is watching me and it is very proud of me too!