Kayla - Buda, Texas

The Same Treasure

Whenever I am in dyer need of water, I always go for my water bottle. If I don’t have water, I look for that overly sized, rectangular prism. For some odd reason every time I go to it, the prism wants me to give it $1.25. All I want is water! No way am I giving this machine my money. I realize I am to cheap to spend my cash. Instead I get into a long line of people waiting to drink from the fountain. Just what the doctor ordered.

The next thing I know, I’m walking straight to the back of a line to drink from the fountain. After stepping in line, the person in front of me turns around and gives me a smile. She understands why I am in this line. So, I politely return the understanding smile. We both want the same thing, the quenching water. The line moves slowly, because obviously no one in the line wants to pay the $1.25 for the 16oz bottled water. Instead, each of us is going to try to drink 16oz of free water.

As the line, once again, begins to scoot forward I am next in line. Yes! I will save my tongue from drying up like a sponge. As I lean down, ready and anticipating the delayed desire, the water doesn’t come out of the spout. I press the awkward button again. There is no way the fountain is broken! I press the awkward button again. Nothing comes out! I turn to the person behind me and tell him the fountain is broken. Others in the line hear what I have said and moans rise through the air. People behind me just shift into the next line. “Hey you can’t cut!” The next person in line says. A thief just stole away his right to the treasure. Others in the outcaste line, as well as me, notice we all have illegally shifted into their line too. I say, “Excuse me.”, and move to the back of the line.

Finally, I am at the head of the line. I lean down, press the awkward button, and at last taste the treasure! The same treasure everyone else in line wanted. At last, I walk away refreshed and look to see if the line is any smaller. Nope. Different people lined up taste the same treasure. The same I wanted.