Samantha - Buda, Texas

“This I Believe”

“Be true to yourself, be who you are, and never change for anything… unless of course it’s for the better.” That’s what my grandma used to tell me all the time and I took her advice to heart.

She tells me these three things all the time and she still tells me today. I’ve lived by them for the last sixteen years and that’s as long as I can remember. All my life I’ve chosen to obtain a quiet and reserved manner. I can’t count the number of times that someone has said, “you should talk more” or someone’s asked, “why are you so quiet?” I never quite know what to say in return. I don’t know why I’m quiet, that’s just who I am.

When people say things like that, it kind of makes me feel like they don’t like the person that I am and they want me to act more like they do. It’s like I’m not good enough for them. So what if I’m the quiet one?

Sometimes in class it can get really loud with everyone talking and it’s hard to talk and listen at the same time. One day the teacher had this essay that we had to write and hand back in the next day. A lot of people were talking and when the essay’s due date came, I was one of the few that had it done. So what exactly is wrong with being quiet?

Your true friends will accept who you really are. They will never make you change the person who you truly are, unless of course it’s for the better. So those people who like to point out your flaws probably aren’t true friends and you can change them for the better.

So be who you are. If you’re loud, talk louder. If your quiet, remain quiet. And if you’re weird, go ahead and do something weird and fun. Don’t let one person’s opinion about you change the person that you’re the most comfortable being. Please yourself before anyone else. In the words of my grandma, “Be true to yourself, be who you are, and never change… unless it’s for the better.