Brittany - Buda, Texas

I’m Catholic-It’s Fiction

Everyone just needs to chill. I really don’t understand what the big deal is. The DaVinci Code is a bestselling novel written by Dan Brown. I’m a Catholic girl. I thought it was a great work of FICTION. Let me define fiction for you, people. “Something invented by the imagination.” That’s what Mr. Webster says. And yes, he did take information from books by others, but it is still a fictional book. So why are people acting like that novel is some big blasphemy?

I’m Catholic. I believe in my church and what it stands for. I was able to read, to enjoy even, The DaVinci Code without batting an eye. I, as a Catholic, looked at the words that went against the foundations of my church, and not care at all. Because I know what FICTION is. I went to the movie. I thought it was pretty good. Yet before I saw it, when I wanted to read some reviews on it, all I see is a bunch of useless ranting. I saw things like, “If you go to that movie, you’re a sinner,” and “If you go you’re not a true Christian.” Even my aunt, the nun, was raving about the movie. When I told her I had seen it, she asked me, “And did you believe it?” I just simply replied, “I’m Catholic.” She gave me a high-five for that answer like it was some big accomplishment to go and still believe.

I think people are afraid. That movie scares them into thinking that they’re religious beliefs might be shaken in there. If you can’t walk out of the theater saying, “That was good, what should we see next week?” or something pointless like that…If you can’t walk out with your head held high and your faith unaffected, you need to reevaluate yourself.

The DaVinci Code is a very well written novel. I read it without it changing my religious beliefs one bit. Why? Because I’m Catholic.