Marissa - Buda, Texas

If there is one thing I believe in fully, it is this: God gave us all the ability to be superheroes.

When you think about it, it’s true. Oh I’m not talking about the kind that can save the world by holding up it up while evil minions attempt to throw darts at it. No, the kind of superhero I’m talking about is the plain and ordinary kind.

Superheroes come in all shapes and sizes. Superheroes are around us everyday in their ordinary clothing. They just don’t go jump into a telephone booth when they want to do something extraordinary.

I think that superheroes exist when we need them the most. For example, that cup of coffee that you so desperately need but didn’t have time to make as you were running late for work? Well the friend who just handed you a Starbucks latte suddenly became your superhero for the day. And all it took was a cup of coffee, given by a loving friend.

A superhero lives within all of us. In some dark corner of our soul stands a man, or a woman, wearing a blue spandex costume with a big red “S” painted on it. He’s just standing there, waiting to be let out.

I can recall the first time I realized that I was a superhero. I was standing in a department store waiting in what seemed to be a forever line and a lady was standing behind me. She had a small child with her who was throwing a temper tantrum. As the child got louder and louder, more and more people started to turn and look at her. I could feel the tension in the air rise. Suddenly, as though on some random impulse from my brain, I grabbed a sucker I had conveniently hidden in my purse (I like suckers) and turned it around and handed it to the child. “It’s for you. Just because.” The child stopped screaming and the mother gave me a look of pure gratitude. Right then, I became a superhero. Fortunately, I didn’t have to hold up any sky scrapers or rescue Lois Lane as she fell from one, but in that lady’s eyes, I was still a superhero.

God gave us all the ability to be superheroes. We just have to find the little guy inside of us.