Katherine - Mountain City, Texas

This I Believe…

You know when you hold your tongue instead of screaming at the top of your lungs, “You idiot!” or something hurtful along those lines…and later that day you find a 20-dollar bill on the ground? Or when you do yell at the top of your lungs and lose a 20? That’s what I believe in: Karma.

You know that guy you had to sit by in one of your classes that always distracted, annoyed and/or got you into trouble? I know everyone has someone that affected you like that. And for the people that paid them no heed and just brushed them aside, didn’t you always find a little treasure on the ground or at least always get the sweet reward of sometimes, on those special occasions sit back and watch their plans backfire causing them to get in trouble instead of you? That’s Karma.

Good Karma can also be passed on to others who need a little brighter day every once and a while, helping someone out when they seem to be losing control or just making someone smile by doing little things to distract them from their problems, are little pluses in the Karma balance.

Karma and the belief of what goes around comes around helps me make it through some of those rotten days, where everything is going wrong and it seems that everything and everybody is out to get me, like most Mondays, it reminds me that soon the tide turns and settles and it becomes the weekend.

Karma is known by many names, luck, pay it forward and even being a good Christian, but it all means the same thing. The people that do good in small and large ways, will somehow be rewarded and the people who do mean or negative things, will also get their just reward. Someday maybe not soon but someday it will catch up to them and justice will be served and the spirit of Karma will again balance out.

Although I am only 16, throughout my life on this third rock I have figured out what goes around comes around. Good and bad, luck and unlucky, happy and sad, yen and yang, all Karma.