Angela - Buda, Texas

I believe that people should be proud to show what kind of person they really are. Even if it means being excluded from certain groups of people, which shouldn’t matter becasue you should be accepted for who you are rather than who you pretend to be.

All through middle school I always wondered, “What kind of person am I?” This question seemed to always be the main topic on my mind, when all thought wasn’t devoted to school work that is. It was always the question of what group of people I belonged to, whether it was the preps, the atheletes, the band nerds, the goths, or the jr. Einsteins. I was completely lost as far as that.

I remember I attempted to be part of all these groups at some point. I changed my clothes, hair, and opinions just to feel like I fit in. Sometimes my act worked, other times people saw right through me. The times it did work I grew exhausted of keeping up my act and just dropped it and moved on, hoping the next group would be easier. I was completely lost in my quest for acceptance.

It wasn’t until high school when my true self began to show. My freshman year I was completely wrapped up in marching band. It consumed all my time that wasn’t spent on school, sleeping, and eating. So, naturally, I began to know all the other people with whom I spent more time with than my actual family. It was during that time that I felt I could be myself and not be afraid.

Since then I’ve grown so close to these people I consider them my second family. They never judge me on what I wear, the way I wear my hair, or my point of view on things.

I now know what kind of person I am. I’m the kind of person who likes to dress in what looks nice, but what is comfortable. I don’t like to style my hair too fancy, maybe just a simple ponytail to get me through the day. Also, I like to express my opinions on the latest worldly issues, even though I always end up infuriated becasue of how others view things so carelessly.

I believe that if people are just themselves then they’ll be happier versus somebody with an act.