Kristyn - Manchaca, Texas

One night out with the family a couple summers ago, we decide we should go rent a movie to watch that night. After getting some ice cream at McDonalds, we pull up to the Blockbuster near by. My dad, sister and I sat in the car waiting as my mom and other sister ran inside to pick a movie out. A few minutes pass and the door to the pharmacy next door opens as an elderly man slowly walks out hunched over holding his back as he wobbles to his car. I laugh and say that was going to be my dad in ten years because my dad already has a bad back. My sister and I get a good laugh out of that as my dad just sits back good heartedly taking it all in with a little grin on his face, he was used to being made fun of by his three daughters, it was what we did best.

We continued to watch the old man slowly hobble to his car. Once he manages to use most of his strength to open the door of his older model Ford Explorer, he grabs the handle above the door and nearly falls backwards as he looses his grip. Luckily he was able to grab onto the door to heave himself inside the vehicle. He slowly gets situated inside the car but is still hunched over because of his back, so he can barely see over the steering wheel. For some reason, my dad, sister, and I continue to watch the old man without saying a word. He puts his vehicle in reverse and slowly begins to back out. Out of no where, a little black sports car speeds by nearly missing the old man’s car as he blasts his horn and gestures a finger out the window towards the poor old man who slumps over as if to give up and looks as though he is ready to cry.

My sister and I look at each other with the saddest looks on our faces. We felt so bad that just a couple minutes before that, we were making fun of the old man saying it was our dad. We quickly apologized to our dad and told him we loved him and hoped he would never end up being like that. He just laughed and asked if we learned our lesson about talking about someone before we knew them. We synchronized our yeses.