Phoebe - buda, Texas

In my many years of school I have come to believe in the value of a true friend.

Being a sixteen year old girl in my junior year of high school, I’d say I know a thing or two about what really goes on in the world of “friends”. First period English class you tell your best friend Mary Sue about your new secret crush on Sammy. By second period calculus, Morse code signals have taken over the building and everyone and their sister is pumping out the questions. The snow globe of high school holds daily potato sack races for the treasured prize of a best friend. One day you’re arm-in-arm and the next, you find yourself scrambling to cling on to the closest pony tail. Morning wake-up routines consist of a sharpening of the claws and a polishing of the fangs.

I’ve made my share of mistakes when it comes to placing my trust in someone. In kindergarten Megan Keene asked to play with my new scuba diving Barbie and I never saw it again. In sixth grade I was interrogated by my “best friend” Kimya into saying something mean about one of the girls at school and then she went straight to the girl and told her. In eighth grade my friend and I both liked the same boy but he was only interested in me. I turned him down for the sake of my friend and what I got in return was a rude look and she was gone. My sophomore year I had started to take an interest in a guy at school. It was a new thing and I didn’t want rumors to fly so I only told one special friend about my crush. The next day at school I even had teachers asking me about my new “boyfriend”.

I’ve become wary over the years. Finally at a time I least expected it, I found who I was looking for. At the end of last year I began to hang out with girl from my locker room more and more. We had always been friends but as we began to expand our views on each other I discovered that we had more in common than I thought. Since that time she and I have become inseparable. She knows everything about me down to a point and I know I could win a Jeopardy game about her. She is my shoulder to cry on and the voice I can count on to be on the other end.

Grab a flashlight and road map and find someone that is worth something. Life is full of so many challenges, I’m only a kid and I’ve been through many. Finding a light switch in a dark room is so much easier when you have four hands instead of two.