Egal - Fridley, Minnesota

I believe in what I believe. As a Muslim American going to an Episcopalian school it is sometimes hard to differentiate what I believe from what I think I believe, or what everybody wants to make me believe about what I believe. Yes, it can get very confusing, but every time I begin to forget who I am I just remember a story I learned when I was younger.

In the early days of Islam in Arabia, when Muhammad (pbuh) had spread his message throughout his Quraish tribe the tribe leaders began vieing him as a threat. They promised to him riches, camels, and leadership position to give up his beliefs. As the leaders grew nervous that his teachings would disturb their pagan lifestyle their offers grew, but Muhammad (pbuh) insisted that he would not give up his faith. Finally, the leaders confronted Muhammad and commanded him to give up Islam. Muhammad replied by saying that if they put the moon in his right hand and the sun in his left he still would not give in to their demands. Muhammad and his followers where expelled from Makkah and boycotted by all the businesses. I remember this story and think to my self “and I am complaining about high school.”

When I here things about Islam I laugh at how misconstrue my beliefs to the point that they do. Every time somebody talks about the Islamo-Fascist movement or an Islamo anything leader, I laugh. What other religion has been misunderstood and misrepresented to the point that they have their own fascist political parties. When is the last time you flipped through a textbook and read about the Christio Fascist movement. Even better is when I here one of my teacher or some professor from Berkley on NPR talking about how Osama Bin Laden is trying to preserve Islam from the time of Muhammad. Are they trying to trick me into believing that roughly 2 billion people believe in a religion that condones flying airplanes into buildings or blowing themselves up and killing innocent people. With exception of a little known religion called “Politics” which religion disregards the killing of innocent people? I went to a “Madrassa”, deemed “breeding grounds for hate” by Nightline, and I don’t really feel like a terrorist. Frankly, all I am worried about winning a basketball state championship this year.