Noella - Carrollton, Texas

This, I believe

Since the beginning of time humans have been fascinated with themselves. We all strive to improve our own lives and we have debated for thousands of years about our very nature. One of the first things one sees once civilizations arise is an effort to explain how and why we came to be. Millions of religions have risen up among thousands of years, each with its own philosophy of life. Even those of us who don’t claim one belief have our own moral and ethical codes.

Despite all the diversity in our many different cultures, it seems that all people strive for one thing: a certain stability, perfection, or peace. Almost everyone enjoys entertaining the idea of “peace on earth,” if there is such a thing. Why then has the world always been caught up in such violent conflict that we see every day? Even in our beautiful America we still have problems of crime and war, and is anyone anywhere actually free?

My theory, although probably grossly incorrect, is this: man is a selfish creature. Whenever we do stumble upon find some sort of peace or prosperity we always manage to ruin it rather quickly. Look at our society today. The average American lives in substantial wealth, has excess to medical services and good homes, yet we let over 25,000 people die of starvation a day and still fret about our obesity problems. Maybe if we started worrying about people other than ourselves, and then actually did something about it, the world would be a better place.

I have to admit that I don’t have the answers to all to life’s questions, sorry you’re reading the wrong essay, but I know that who ever created us and this earth didn’t mean for it to turn out like this. We’ve really messed things up as a race, but the chance to improve our state of life hasn’t passed us by. Maybe we still have time to change the way we live our lives around the world so it could at least get close to what it was supposed to be like. If we truly want to improve this society that we live in we must all band in order to make a real difference. People shouldn’t just mooch off the rest of the world, keeping everything to themselves, because the world isn’t going to fix itself on its own. We each need to give back at least what we’ve received and then maybe we’ll have made some progress. It’s a big bucket, but every drop counts.

That’s what I believe.