Peggy - san antonio, Texas

I believe in everyday magic.

It had been a long hard day at St, George Episcopal school. I was weary to the bone and my lessons had not gone well. In fact, I was discouraged enough to wonder if I was really going to be able to a difference in this new setting. I was having a bona fide pity party. Perhaps it was due to the fact that I had been at the school the previous day until 8:30 PM for parent orientation. When I went home, I ate potato chips and an apple for dinner. Not the best nutrition for a 54 year old cancer survivor. I can hear my doctor screaming at me…..”What are you thinking! You have a compromised immune system!” But it is hard to cook green beans and chicken at that late hour.

So the next day was an endurance test, and I made it just barely. At the end of the day I had arranged for Melissa to come by and see me. She wanted to show me a piece of writing that she had been working on and I had forgotten for a minute that I had agreed to visit with her. She usually stays down the hall after school for after school care so it was easy for her to pop into my room. We had been working on 6 traits writing and the use of voice and word choice in class. I had also introduced the writing process and we were drafting and revising a few pieces. This was something she had been working on during her free time though…not an assignment from me, so I was eager to see what she had written. We looked at the piece and I could tell that she had talent, not a big surprise since she had been one of the top students since day one. It was at this time that I realized how gifted she was. I have seen that hungry look in the eyes of gifted students before. They are like huge sponges. It was also at this time that I knew she was ready to move to the next level, and that I had been placed in the capacity to take her there. After Melissa left I was just beginning to address some of the paperwork on my desk when Little Emily flew into the room. I call her Little Emily because I have tres Emily’s in my classroom, and she is ….well, she is the smallest. She threw me a smile and headed toward her desk in search of some missing something. I laughed, because she makes me laugh. She is always smiling and so sweet that you can not keep a straight face. We visited for a minute and then I turned back to my work unaware that I had let out a loud sigh. She came and stood by my desk, and I heard this little voice say….. “Are you tired Mrs. Collins?”

I said, “Yes, honey, I am! I was here very late last night and I just loved visiting with all of the parents, but I did not sleep well when I went home. I feel bad because the lessons did not go as well as I had planned today and I am really tired.” All this on the shoulders of a nine year old….what was I thinking? Little Emily smiled and cocked her head like a loyal pet. Then she did something wonderful. She opened up her arms and walked over to me and gave me a big hug….this little girl who had not whined when she was chosen to carry the banner during chapel. A banner I might add that probably outweighed her and certainly topped her short stature by several feet. She did not waiver and she did not complain. She carried that banner down the aisle and placed it where it would stand tall and not fall. Just like Rowan in A Letter to Garcia…..she got the job done.

And a small child will lead us……we learn from children…….or we don’t. We can catch a blessing when God sends one ….or we can miss it. I’m glad I caught some time with Melissa and Emily after school today. I can’t wait for tomorrow!!!