Drew - carrollton, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

This I believe essay

One second is all that matters

I believe in learning to swim. Even at a year old my parents took me to my neighbor’s pool to teach me how to swim. At 6 years of age, they put me into a swimming program to learn to swim. After that I was put on a local summer swim team. Why did my parents insist on teaching me to swim? Think about it: Earth is over 2/3 water. Your around water everywhere you go, wouldn’t it make sense to learn how to swim?

Unfortunately not everyone is as dedicated to this idea as I am. Everyday people die from drowning accidents; more and more lives are lost each year. As a lifeguard I know the dangers of swimming. Although it can be a fun and relaxing experience it’s also very dangerous. Parents will play with their kids in the pool, and get distracted and take their eyes off of their child for only a second or too. Unfortunately that’s all the time needed for their child to sink to the bottom of the pool. During that time the brink between life and death is only a matter of seconds. The only person that separates them from death is me, and I can’t think of anything scarier than realizing that the fate of another human life is in your hands. However, some people do not have someone to watch over them.

Every time I think about the water I am reminded of an event I was told by my preacher during a sermon. At a young age he was in an unthinkable situation. His older brother had fallen into their pool, and drowned while his parent had been inside. There was no one there to save him, and since he couldn’t swim he drowned. This incident led to his parents divorce, and there once happy family being torn apart. That experience should never have had to be witnessed by anyone. No one should suffer with the pain of watching his or her own brother drown before him. If only he had known how to swim he may not have had to die.

Life is precious to be lost in such a way. I believe people should learn to swim. In the world we live in every one will to come up against some water one time or another. When this does happen should be prepared, so such an event will never happen again. Sadly, events like this will happen again, and will continue to happen.

Death is always waiting for us just around the corner. When such an event happens, and we are not prepared or aware of what’s going on. The most precious thing we have in our lives will be taken away from us, Human life. I believe people should learn to swim, so we can fight back against death and preserve not only our lives but everyone else’s as well.