Kimberly - Carrollton/TX/75007, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

Live the Only Life you Have

Go to school, go to volleyball practice after school until four thirty, go home, do homework, eat dinner, do the dishes, take a shower, and then go straight to bed. These days, it seems as if everyone has a completely filled schedule, like mine, only an average high school student. Most days I hardly have enough time to even talk to my family, play with my dog, or just lay down for a bit and relax. Sometimes our schedules get so over-booked that we even get stressed out and have mental breakdowns from the overload. What I believe can be put into three simple words: live your life.

My belief is not very complicated nor complex. However, it is very important in my daily life, as it should be for everyone. Today’s society gets so caught up in things these days that there isn’t a single moment of our lives that isn’t typed or written on our hand-held scheduler. Things that we used to love to do now seem more like a task, and that doesn’t really qualify as living your life in my opinion. I didn’t really think about this until about three years ago when something happened that made me think twice about everything.

It all happened when I came home after my first day of sixth grade, eager to tell my mom all about my middle school experience thus far. To my surprise, I was greeted by a completely different mom than I had ever seen before. I could immediately tell that she had been crying for a while. She told me that my younger cousin had suddenly passed away in an accident. My heart skipped a beat and I became full of mixed emotions: shock, confusion, and terror. My cousin was younger than me and his life on Earth had already come to a stop. I began to wonder, what if it had been me? Would I have been satisfied with my life on Earth? I realized that my entire life had been a continuous schedule. One thing after another occurs that I just check off one by one instead of actually enjoying what life has to offer.

I believe that everyone should find time to do things that they enjoy doing, not constantly following their scheduler. Live your life; simple and to the point. You never know when your life on Earth will suddenly end, like my cousin’s life unfortunately did. Everyone is given the gift to have a life on Earth, but only one. There are no second chances. You have to live the only life you have, like I have chosen to do by having fun, enjoying my life, and well, living.