Amy - Carroltton, Texas

Invisible People

We all know how it feels to walk into a nice clean hotel room, perfectly made beds, sparkly white porcelain showers and sinks, and vacuumed carpeting. But has anyone ever thought about how the room became this way? A hotel room does not just magically appear spotless. The “invisible people” clean it for us. In one case, an invisible person could be a maid. And this maid is rarely thanked or given any appreciation for all the work that she does. But, if she screws up on one person’s room or forgets to windex the bathroom mirrors, someone is SURE to march right up and scream at her for not doing her job. So where do the ends meet for this maid? She’s between a rock and a hard place. When she does her job, she gets little respect. When she misses perfection, she gets scolded and loses what little respect she has.

I have had so many experiences that have given me a perspective from both spectrums. For instance, even as little as finishing a group project all by myself, or doing household chores. I play a part in the lives of my family, school body, church, and so many other things. But on the other hand, I sometimes do not even take notice to the things other people do for me. I expect my mom to pick me up from school every day and rarely ever thank her. Teachers commit so much time for their students with not so superior pay. I take for granted so much that I have.

I believe in the hidden people. I believe that the people who do jobs that might not be highly visible deserve our respect and thanks. I believe every little job is important; in the big picture everyone makes a difference in someone else’s life. So we are all entangled in one big web, each of us affecting another. At times we are the invisible someone for some other person. I believe we need to take into consideration the position of others as well as ourselves. I believe we need to remember the maid at the hotel, the custodian at the school, the factory workers, the farmers, the garbage men, and the construction workers. We all work together as one to create anything as complex as an economy or as diminutive as a family running a household. In order to succeed, we need to trust that we each make a difference. This I believe.