eric - charlotte, North Carolina

“You cant beat this guy in a race, he’s like a cheetah, he has won the state championship five years strait, and I doubt he is going to let his school down this track meet” Pow”! The gun sets off the start of the race. most peoples self confidence and determination comes from friends and family, with inspirational statements like, you can do it or do the best that you can do, can give individuals that extra push they may need to complete a difficult task. Sometimes like in my example, people may say that you cannot or will not be able to do something, just because you don’t have enough money or not fast enough. I personally have found it better to just believe within yourself..

Self confidence should be all you need to do something important to you. If you have the courage within your self I believe you can do anything. Say you want a raise at your job, and your boss said the raise would go to anyone who showed that extra 100%. You think that you would probably never get the raise because there are people at your job who do what they do better. And then that causes stress and confidence is lost. I find it helpful to just stop for a second and say “believe in your self and do the best that you can and not worry about everyone else. Just making your self feel better even for just a few seconds can change the entire situation. It could even change your whole life.

Two years ago I was in a track meet at school, I ran in the final race of the night, which was the 200 meter dash. If I placed first in this race, out school would win. But there’s another student, in the same position as I and if he won the race, his school would win six years in a row. Some of my friends said that I couldn’t do it. But right before the beginning of the race I said “Just believe in your self and you can do it”. Having self confidence gives you the extra support you need, which has happened to my hundreds of times. And I did win the race by the way. I didn’t think I would be able to do it without confidence, not from my peers, because I didn’t get it from them, but from myself.

I tell my friends and almost everyone know every single day to believe in themselves. Yes, they get tired of it sometimes. But having confidence will always help. To me you can only truly rely on one person and that is God. If you can’t depend on anyone else, depend on him. He will always be there for you no matter how hard times may get. Keeping faith in God is something else I believe in. Sometimes confidence may not be enough. But praying to God is most assuring. I believe that you can relieve stress, and get a lot of things done, knowing it’s in the right hands. And that’s better for everyone.