rachel - charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: change

This I Believe Uncertainty, it may not make sense but its what I believe in. The fact of the matter is I have no earthly idea what I believe in. Honestly, I have no set in stone beliefs that I live by. I don’t know that I really need them at this point in my life. I don’t know if I will ever have these “beliefs” that everyone claims that they have.

I am sixteen years old. Does any sixteen year old have things that they truly believe in? Well I used to believe in Santa and the tooth fairy but those beliefs have been ripped away long ago. So what should I believe in. Some teens believe in their religion and their god. Which at this point in my life I have neither. Some of us believe in certain ideals. Such as being kind or living life to the fullest. To me these ideals seem fake and cliche, because no one performs acts of kindness all of the time no matter how much they think they want to, there will always be someone who gets hurt by the things you say and do. And I know very few people who actually live their lives to the fullest. The reality of it is that people care too much ,they would be too worried about what other people think to do what they really want. So these people, incoherently go against their beliefs.

Other people merely say that they have these beliefs in order to please their parents or their friends or whoever influences them in their lives. I know plenty of “good” people who say that they believe in being kind to people and treating people how they would like to be treated, but the second someone different comes around, either different by how they dress, how they look or their religion they turn around and mock them and disregard their beliefs and feelings.They go against everything that they claim to believe in. Now don’t think that I don’t do these things too because I know I have, but I also don’t preach about these ideals and say that truly believe in them. I also know many people who claim to be good Christians who supposedly believe in the ten commandments, that turn around and break almost all of them. They curse at their parents, go out to parties get drunk and “hook-up” with random guys. Both of which I am sure go against the ten commandments. These people only use their beliefs as a front to hide their true personality and to make them seem like good and nice people. I see people like this everyday in school, and I know that people like this exist everywhere all over the world.

Maybe someday I will find things that I believe in. I just hope that if I do get a set of beliefs that I truly believe in and that I can use them to live my life by, not just something that I believe in because people say I should.

As of now the fact still remains that I have no true beliefs, except uncertainty.