Megan - Omaha, Nebraska

I Can Write My Own Story

The pages– flowing, the anticipation– endless, the story foreshadowed a bright future, until an unexpected twist. Nothing.

My depression, at greatest adversity, caused my head to overflow with negative emotions. Wandering aimlessly, I pondered the major life questions such as: If god loves us, why do humans suffer? and What is the meaning of life? Trapped within my own mind, I would discover myself lost within the depths of despair, enraged with my current circumstance, and lashing out at the world around me. My body weakened from suffering and my soul, exhausted. I could not prolong my agony. I strengthened my cry for help. Family and friends rushed to my side offering their comfort. The torment would subside momentarily, but no one could completely release my mind– except me. My story, far from over, had to continue.

Soon came the climax of my story. I had severed the ropes that kept my fingers from creating the story I made every effort to attain. Again, the pages started to flow. Sluggish at first, but with time and positive self-talk, the words poured out. Occasionally, I would experience writer’s block and darkness seemed to fill the pages. When the world looked as if it was coming to an end, an explosion of light burst through the darkness, and I continued to write. I have many more pages to fill. My story is far from complete. I believe, “My will shall shape the future. Whether I fall or succeed shall be no man’s doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in a maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.” I believe “I am unwritten.”