Jared - Indianapolis, Indiana

Life is hard. There’s no other way of putting it, and no other way of getting around it. No matter what life you lead though, you choose the way you want to live it. I believe in individuality.

Individuality is perhaps something that most people no longer possess. I can tell you from a high school student perspective there’s hardly anyone left who have such a quality. You walk down a hallway, a street, or through a department store, how often do you see someone who stands out? Someone who is not wearing some big name brand of clothing, or walking while looking down upon every person around them? These are just a few examples of a person who does not have any individuality. It’s make no difference of where you are or what you’re doing, chances are most people around you want to be like some movie star, singer, or just some other random person; there’s hardly ever someone who just wants to be them self.

I am an opinionated person. I am a leader. I am a talented speaker. I have views in which I defend. I stand up for the Lord what is right no matter what the cost. I am an individual.

Many times have I stood up in a classroom, a speech meet, or in some public place and defended and spoken about my views. Many times I have gotten into arguments with fellow students, teachers, and even principals over these views of mine. I was told I had to change if I wanted to succeed in this world. I was told I could not always defend the poor man but instead just to flow with the “crowd” so I could fit in, to be just like every other person. But not once have I swayed from my self or who I am. I’ve sat alone at lunch many times, have had hardly any friends at all but yet I did not change who I am.

Some may say this is pathetic, a high school kid thinking he is some experienced adult who knows about life. But who really is the pathetic one? The student who wears clothes not because they are in style but because he likes them, and the student who defends his views and beliefs and stands up for what is right. Or is it the person who only wears designer clothing to impress friends and strangers, and the person who does not speak up for themselves or what is right because they are afraid of the social consequences?

Life as an individual is not easy, but it is what is right. God gave each and one of us talents, talents that no other citizen of this Earth possesses. Many people, however, unfortunately chose not to use these talents and choose to be the follower instead of the leader. I am not one of those; I am an individual, and I believe in individuality.