John - Charlotte, North Carolina

At the age of seventeen, still young, I have been exposed to much in the world and am able to build a basis for my beliefs.

One of the most important beliefs that should be practiced more than all is belief in oneself. By challenging oneself, we gain confidence in ourselves and are able to see the world from more than one angle. The only way to overcome a goal is to have faith in yourself and believe that you can do it.

I believe strongly in treating every person equally. My parents stressed this idea to me as a young child and it has stuck with me ever since and I plan on teaching it to my children. No matter what race, religion or gender.

I also believe strongly in the power of friendship. Friendship has made me who I am today. True friends can be counted on to laugh at your jokes and be there when you need them. I don’t know what I would do without my friends. I believe in the saying, “make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold.” Going by this phrase can help you make all kinds of friends.

Music plays a big roll in my life. Music is like the fuel for my engine. I believe that music can be a way for people to get messages across, or just to tell stories. Music can make people happy or sad. A type of music can be found for everyone.

I believe in respect, honesty, trustworthiness, and responsibility as some of the most important values, that everyone should believe in. I was taught these values at a young age and have had plenty of practice using them.

Love has the power to conquer all. Love could stop a war, and end a feud. Whether it’s a girlfriend, parent, sibling, or any other person, it can be done. I do not believe in love at first sight but I think it would be pretty cool if it happened. Love is very important to me. However, I stand firmly behind each and every one of my beliefs and will continue to share them wherever I go.