Rush - Charlotte, North Carolina

“You Get What You Give”

Your whole life is determined by how hard you work and the effort you put into situations. No matter what you do, if you give it all you’ve got, you will rarely be disappointed. If you don’t try your best, you will regret it in the future and your life will never be the same. I strongly believe that by working hard and trying your best, you can achieve almost anything.

Many people base people’s successes on things like their education, experiences, kindness, or even skills. If someone gets into an Ivy League university, people consider them exceptionally intelligent, but the true reason they got in is usually spoken of much less often. The people who get in usually have very strong grades, participate in outside activities, and make good grades on standardized tests. But the only reason they have all this is because they work exceptionally hard to get it all. Everyone starts with almost the same level of education. Some choose to give it their all and spend time studying and reading, while others try and get by simply with passing grades, and try to avoid as much work as possible. The reason that they excel more than other students is simply because they try hard, and have worked hard in school all their life, not because they are born more intelligent. Intelligence without determination is like fish without flippers, and will it hard for you to get through life. For example, I had a neighbor who was particularly smart, and could do almost anything on a computer. Unfortunately, he did not have the highest work ethic. He always tried to barely slip by the passing mark and would do anything to avoid work. He hardly graduated high school, and at 22 years old, is still living with his parents and is unemployed. No matter who you are, you will get nowhere without working hard.

Working hard does not just determine the college you get into, but your entire life. If you take everything you do seriously and devote yourself to it, than the outcome will become much more advantageous. Many people view white-collar jobs as high paying and luxurious, but in all actuality most are harder work. For example, one of my dads good friends from high school got a job in the stock market right after he graduated from college. He made a six-figure salary, bought a nice house, drove a corvette, and worked around eighty hours a week. People from all around will notice and envy the car, the house, and the clothes, but usually never the work he does to get it. Your whole life depends on how much devotion you are willing to give.

As you can see, I strongly believe that your life is determined by the effort you devote to every situation. Hard work establishes all your skills, abilities, and attributes. If one went through life by simply trying their best at everything they do, than they would end up amazingly successful. I believe that the ability to work hard in all situations is one of the most admirable attributes a person can possess.