Laura - Charlotte, North Carolina

‘Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.’ This quote by Anthony Brandt shows a reflection of my most important belief.

I believe that every person should cherish their family and be thankful for their support. At the end of the day, after breaking up with my boyfriend or getting a failing grade on my test, my family, especially my mother, waits for me with open arms.

I believe that family becomes a part of your life with a huge influence on you and therefor should always consist of a healthy relationship between parents and children. When I grew up I always knew that my parents would support me in everything I had set in mind and knew that that is the pricipal I will carry on and have for my children.

I try my best to be the understanding, kind big sister and although it does not seem easy I do everything I can, because i know that that is what my sisters would do for me.

Through personal experiences I learned that a family is something you will never lose, no matter what the circumstances may be. I moved 16 times in 17 years and I have been to 8 different schools. Whenever my family moved and I had to start all over again which included some days where I felt miserable and did not think I had anybody in this world to hang on to, but in those times I realized that my sisters and my mother are there for me, and they will do anything to cheer up my day. That is what I love about them, it is a quality no one else will be able to give.

When I was a young child, at the age of about 10, my class took a 5-day trip to a museum in Berlin. I was so excited about the trip that I couldnt sleep the night before. When the day finally arrived I said by to my mom and kissed her goodbye. After our bus left the parking lot and we started our journey to Berlin, i started crying. I felt homesick, although I had the most amazing time during the days. The only probelm was whenever the lights went out and it was time to go to bed I would just sit there and think about my mother and how much I would miss her once she was gone. That became the time when i began noticing her actions, and realizing the important role she has in my life. Though thoughts about death and harm to a loved one I learned the value of the most important person in my life.

In conclusion, I believe that ones family is the most important thing in life. You should never neglect or hurt them in any way possible, but you should cherish and give them love for the love that you receive each and every single day.