Leslie - Charlotte, North Carolina

All challenges that are thrown at you in life are just more reasons for you to grow, and become a better person. If you have faith in your friendships, you will always have someone to turn to. It can be hard to find good friends especially in high school. Friends can be there one minute and just gone the next. Some of the biggest obstacles can be thrown at you and your friends are what help you stick through things. Trust and friendship really go hand in hand with each other.

From personal experience, I know how hard it is to move from place to place, not knowing anyone or anything. Being in a completely different environment causes you not to have as many friends, so you can not really turn to friends, if you do not have any to turn to. Being the kid who sits in the back corner, or alone during lunch, and the one who never talks is not want you want to be known as when you have come to a new place. Friends help shape who you become and can be some of the main influences in your life. Since my mom is a nurse, she always tells me to “find a friend in every stranger.” You never know when you will be in need of someone. Of course, making the friends is only half of the battle. Keeping and trusting in your friends, and making relationships work is the other tough part. Friends who use you, or just want to be friends with you to get something out of you do not seem real. No one wants to be made fun of and picked on, because everyone has been there at one point or another. I remember the days, when I came in as the new student from the United States in a British school. You would think that since everyone had been going to school together for many years and knew each other, no one would even associate with the girl who has a weird accent. This was not the case though. How nice friends are can make the biggest difference on what kind of a mind set you have while walking away from an experience.

I believe in the power of friendship, and the fact that friends can make the biggest impact on people’s lives. It’s a completely different form of welcome when someone greets you with a smile. Trust in friends because in the end, you will need them, and they will need you.