Emily - Charlotte, North Carolina

Individuality is a box of bright Crayola crayons. Each crayon represents uniqueness in its shade of magnificent color: Tickle Me Pink, Robin Egg Blue, and Fire Truck Red. Each person has unique qualities that he or she shows off. I believe that individuality provides the key to being happy in any situation. Being appreciated and noticed because of your true personality can give you satisfaction beyond words. People will love you for being you not for being like every other person in the world. It involves being true to yourself, following your morals, and being molded by your experiences.

Being true to yourself means you are honest in your thoughts and that you don’t conform to what the world tells you. You shouldn’t rethink your opinions because of someone else’s. I think that being true contains doing what you want, wearing what you want, and thinking for yourself. I still have fun and have friends without trying to impress anyone. Because of this, I know I have true friends. At the beach while my sister was walking around the house she proclaimed to the rest of us that she does what she wants, when she wants and how she wants. She knows what she wants and won’t let anyone get in the way of her ambitions.

Someone who has individuality also sticks to their morals. Morals consist of anything that you truly believe in and that you will “fight” for. They can be about what you do in or outside of school and how hard you work. An example of a moral playground could be the environment we present ourselves to five days a week, high school. As you roam the halls and sit in class, you can’t help but overhear the stories of who got drunk and who hooked up. I don’t worry about impressing a certain group of people by doing something that I don’t believe in. I don’t go out looking for friends, rather, I do what I want and let my friends come to me. If people don’t like me for who I am then they aren’t worth the time.

High school also provides a multitude of experiences that mold your personality. . To go back to the crayon analogy, each time someone colors a picture the crayon changes shape and each time we go through an experience the outlook on your life is shaped. Sometimes that might even include the weekend party, homework, and after school jobs; these are examples of activities that you become involved in and influence the way you act. Experiences can make you appreciate things in your life and can support future decisions you make. It’s important to learn from your mistakes and to shape your personality as you wish.

Individuality is something that motivates my life everyday. I try to live the way I want not how everyone else is living. I don’t want to go unnoticed; I want to show off my vivid crayon color.