Benjamin - Charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: golden rule

My beliefs have been tested and changed over my 17 years here, but now they are starting to become more concrete. I strongly believe in the Bible and everything that I have learned from it. My parents sent me to Sunday school as a kid, and that has taught me a lot of what I believe. Because of Sunday school, I believe in a lot of things. I believe that everyone should live according to the golden rule. The golden rule says to treat other people the way you would want to be treated. If everyone lived by this one simple rule, the world would be a much better place. Everyone would be nicer to each other and there would be more respect to each other. One of the many things that Sunday school has taught me is that what goes around, comes around. Because of this, I believe that if someone does something wrong on purpose, it will eventually catch up to them in some way. If it does not catch up to them in this life, then it surely will in the next. Church has also taught me that in the Bible, God made many promises, both good and bad. Even though it may not be the same circumstances, I believe that when a person makes a promise, they should make it a conceivable one. A promise that is attainable and not too far-fetched. They should then carry out that promise and live up to their word. There have been too many instances to count in the Bible when a person has made a decision and not considered the possible outcomes beforehand. I believe that if someone makes a decision, they need to consider others before it is carried out. Will it affect them for the better or worse? If worse, try to find a way to make it for the better. Last, but most certainly not least, church has taught me to be kind to others, even if I do not like them, and to help out whenever I am able. A person should be willing to help in any situation, and volunteer their services.

My church and the Bible have had an effect of great significance on what my beliefs are today. These things have helped me in becoming a better person. Going to church was part of, and a lot of what helped me and molded me into who I have become today.