Andrew - charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: respect

My first car was unbelievable. Unbelievably horrific. Its seats had holes in them. It either looked brown or rust colored, and did I mention my dad bought the car in the early 80’s. Yeah it might sound bad but I loved it.

A car is something that everyone needs. They happen to be very dangerous though. Tons of people have died in car accidents before. Would it worth it? Now I am not a person who gets scared easily. But every now and then I tend to think about what I am doing and think what if this happened and I ended up ruining my life.

I remember New Years Eve four years ago. My dad decided to go to the store to get some food for a New Years Eve Party. He knew a lot of people were probably doing the same thing and there could be a lot of traffic but decided it was going to be worth it. My brother had recently gotten his permit and my dad had decided to let him drive. My mom, of course, didn’t want me to go with them but since I didn’t have anything else to do I insisted that I should go. So my dad, my brother, and I left for the store. What could be better than a short trip to the store in my really old car? It takes two minutes to get to the store from my house. What could be the chances of something bad happening? Well it did. At an intersection about a minute away from my house a car pulled out in front of my brother too late and nailed us in the side of the car. Thankfully everyone was okay. . It was the other person’s fault, but of course what was supposed to be “my first car” got totaled.

That’s beside the point. The point is that in what seemed to be a short trip to the store ended up being a really scary moment for us. I have put this behind me and don’t really ever think about it any more. But if I had got injured would it have been worth it? Probably not. I guess what I am saying is to love and respect your life. I believe in God and believe that he tries his best to take care of all of us. Driving really isn’t the best example because no matter what anyone says there is going to be some moron who speeds, drinks and drives, or doesn’t stop at a stop sign. And the rest of us are not going to stop driving because of those few people. But think before you act. Treat your life with respect and treat other people’s life with respect as well. Just think about how life would be if everyone followed this rule. My old rusty car would still be here and this world would be a much safer place.