samip - charlotte, North Carolina

7 September 2006

“Give, give, give; what is the point of having experience, knowledge or talent if I don’t give it away?” says a novelist, Isabel Allenda. Now what do you think makes her believe something like this? I’ll tell you why I could not say it any better myself. I have many different beliefs; treat people the way you want to be treated, or live life to the fullest, I could go on. But I strongly agree with Isabel Allenda. For example, if it were not for the people who came up with old western music, we would not have a lot of the music we do now. Yes music has changed, but there would not be anything to change if was not for the beginning.

I do not believe in keeping things the exact same as they were back in 500 B.C. I say that we should know about our past, and it allows us to change things around as long as we keep that line of respect for it. Aristotle said that a story should contain plot, character, language, thought, melody, and spectacle. We still have those elements in today’s stories, but the innovations back then differ from the ideas shared in today’s world. But think about if it were not for Aristotle, would we have what we call drama today? Maybe we would, but would it be the same? We will never know.

I believe to give and give is the right thing because we ourselves along with the coming generations should know about their past and where they are from. Why are they here? Why is the world what it is? If we continue to give and teach, we, and the future can learn to appreciate what our parents, grandparents, ancestors lived in their time.

The rest of Allenda’s quote states, “Of having stories if I don’t tell them to others?” something I just explained, “Of having wealth if I don’t share it? I don’t intend to be cremated with any of it! It is in giving that I can connect with others, with the world and with the divine.” For about a year I have been learning classical Indian music on the violin. I do not know who made these compositions, but one thing is that they are ancient notes of music. I think it is important to continue something that people have worked on and innovated. Like said in the quote, “I don’t intend to be cremated with any of it!” I am sure they did not want their work to end with them. They probably wanted their music to continue to flourish throughout the country so everyone could know and experience the feeling they had. And that is why I am sitting here with a violin in my hand. But of course, that is only a belief.

Everything I know and I find valuable in my life, I will continue to teach. Because if we leave the future generations with nothing, then what are they going to be left with?