meghan - charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: tolerance

“She’s addicted to crack, she’s an alcoholic, and she’s an alcoholic.” my mother explains about the three other women living in her dome at Talbott Recovery Center in Atlanta, Georgia. My biological mother is living in a relatively well-sized apartment on the grounds of a recovery center for chemically-dependant adults, my mom attends there to be treated for alcoholism. I could easily have judged these three women along with my mother as weak and egotistical because after all, they let a drink get a hold on them and from what I understand after watching my mother, all they care about is themselves. I didn’t though. I accepted the fact that they resided in recovery and that they have been good people.

A blonde, a brunette, and a red-head, this starts many jokes in our culture, but it also a clear picture of our judgmental thinking in American society. If you look at America’s past, you can see that we have a little problem with acceptance, but were not the only ones: Germany and the Jews, us and African Americans, the French with everybody. It doesn’t just reside in cultures though, people with disabilities are the brunt of lack of acceptance. They walk through malls and people stare. They go out to dinner and people stare. When they apply for jobs, they get turned down because of their disability. America can not accept people who are different or not like “us”.

Personally, I think teachers are the most accepting people of all. There are so many different types of people in our school: goths, preps, dorks and so on. Teachers could give grades out according to how they like the student and the “group” they are in such as the cheerleaders and football players get A’s and the goths get F’s. Teachers don’t do that though because they accept everyone for who they are and what they are.

I don’t look down on people nor do I judge. Acceptance can be a hard thing to learn, but it is necessary for us to survive. If we don’t accept people we will have another holocaust, the cliques in school will stay the same, and ignorance will never go away.